67% of our current our U6th students have so far applied to university this year, with 100 ex-students putting in UCAS applications following a period of time working or travelling. Students are currently considering their offers and applying for Student Finance, while our Art students are busy preparing their portfolios and some of our drama and music students are rehearsing hard in preparation for auditions.
For those planning on going straight to work on leaving college we have had some interesting presentations from employers including employability workshops led by Enterprise Rent a Car and local recruitment company Principal People. Both these companies are offering paid internships to our students as well as job and apprenticeship opportunities.
We were delighted to welcome back HSBC in January who last year took 3 of our students as apprentices to work in global market operations in their offices in Canary Wharf London. Our students were interested to hear from one of last year’s students as he talked about his experience of working for HSBC.
As part of our process of supporting students who are considering employment as an alternative to university we have recently introduced drop in workshops held every Thursday break time. These workshops aim to provide additional help and support for those applying for apprenticeships, internships and employment. Students can bring along their queries and spend time in a workshop style setting getting help with their applications.
• UCAS Convention at Surrey Sports Park on March 16th for our L6th students,
• Talk by an Admissions Officer from Harvard on applying to the USA on Feb 26th
• Visit by Army Careers Adviser, Feb 26th
• Talk by CGI on their Sponsored Degree Programme , Feb 27th
• Oxbridge Conference at Epsom on March 27th
• Next Steps Evening for Parents on April 28th
• Careers Day for all lower sixth July 2nd